Nothing stops you from enjoying delicious espresso with your own appliance anywhere you are and on a small budget. And if you are an espresso lover but cannot spend so much on espresso machines, you can get the Best Budget Espresso Machine that suits your taste.
In this article, I have put together for you; the best inexpensive espresso machines under $100, the best espresso machines under $200, and espresso machines you can use and enjoy under $300. This means that whatever your planned budget is, you have a variety of options you can choose from without compromising on the quality of your espresso.
Best Espresso Machines under $100
It does not matter whether you just can’t afford an espresso maker that costs more than $100, or you really just want an espresso machine to meet your basic espresso needs. The Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Steam Espresso System is our overall best espresso machine in this category. But you can get the cheaper BELLA (13683) Personal Espresso Maker without having to compromise on rich-flavored cups of espresso. And if you want something else to meet a special requirement, you will find one of our other top picks for the cheapest espresso machines very suitable for you.
Comparison table for best espresso machines under $100
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 04:45 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Overall Best – Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Steam Espresso System
The Mr. Coffee 4-Cup Steam Espresso System is one of the best inexpensive espresso machines you can get on a budget of less than $100. This product makes delicious espresso, cappuccino, and latte in just a few minutes. And it also features a milk frother just to ensure you get your favorite coffee variant without needing to visit a café. If you are new to making your own coffee or other variants, you will enjoy using this product because it is easy to operate.
This low budget espresso machine comes with the following features to ensure users get the best experience;
- A steam feature to force hot steam through the filter and produce dark, rich espresso according to your preference
- 8 oz. glass carafe to serve 4 shots at once at 2 oz. each
- Detachable and washable drip tray to collect coffee drips and minimize brewing mess
- Measuring scoop for easy measurement of your ground coffee
- Small footprint to fit countertop spaces without taking up kitchen space
Best Budget – BELLA (13683) Personal Espresso Maker
Despite being cheap, the Bella Personal Espresso Maker comes with a frothing steam wand to warm and froth your milk. Enabling you to turn your espresso into lattes, cappuccinos, and other coffee variants you may prefer. The product comes in a sleek black design so that even though it is cheap, it doesn’t look so on your kitchen countertop.
Bella Personal Espresso Maker also comes with the following features:
- Steam-pressurized safety cap to prevent coffee spills
- Removable drip tray to catch spills and minimize mess while brewing
- Detachable permanent filter for easy cleaning after use
- Steam wand plastic also comes detachable for easy cleaning
Best Portable – Wacaco Minipresso GR, Portable Espresso Machine
If you are looking for the perfect camping or hiking espresso maker to hold along on a trip, the Wacaco Minipresso GR Portable Espresso Machine is a good fit for you. Small as it is, it makes rich-tasting espresso you can enjoy on trips, and you won’t even feel its weight.
This espresso maker comes in a beautifully sleek design and offers comfortable use with these features;
- Permanent stainless steel filter so you don’t need to spend money on paper filters.
- Integrated scoops for measuring your coffee grounds
- Compatibility with all types of coffee grounds
- Lock-on piston to prevent control pump in travel mode
Best Versatile – Hamilton Beach Espresso Machine with Steamer
There is no doubt that the Hamilton Beach Espresso Machine with Steamer is the most versatile espresso maker you can get for less than $100. This machine comes with a 15 bar Italian pump that works well with soft pods and ground coffee.
Whether you like your espresso as it is, or you would make a cappuccino or macchiato out of it, you will find this espresso maker worth its price. And it also comes with the following features;
- Milk frothier to steam or froth milk for your coffee variants
- Removable water reservoir for an easy and quick water refill
- Two brew head spouts to brew two cups of espresso at once
- Removable parts for easy cleanup after use
- The simple push-button operation makes it easy to operate
Best large capacity – Capresso 117.05 Stainless Steel Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Machine
Capresso 117.05 Stainless Steel Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Machine is a good option if you like to drink with friends and family. Its 42-ounce water reservoir ensures you do not have to get a refill after every cup.
The product features a 15 bar pump for rich, great tasting espresso, in addition to the following features;
- One sieve for single or double espresso brewing
- Removable water reservoir for quick and easy refill
- Automatic rinse between brewing and frothing without compromising the temperature
- Warming tray to warm your cups before serving
- Removable drip tray to catch spills and reduce brewing mess
- Self-locking filter for easy cleanup after use
Best Espresso Machines Under $200
If you are willing to spend more than a hundred bucks on your espresso machine, but not above $200, you should go for the Mr. Coffee Café Barista Espresso and Cappuccino Maker. As it happens to be our favorite pick in this price category. The De’longi 15 Bar Espresso Machine comes cheaper at a price close to $200, but it works just as great. And there are other options you should definitely consider to ensure you are getting a product that suits your taste;
Product Comparison Table for Espresso Machines Under $200
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 06:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Overall Best – Mr. Coffee Barista Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
The semi-automatic Mr. Coffee Barista Espresso and Cappuccino Maker comes in red, silver, and white color to complement your kitchen look according to your preference. This 15 bar pump system ensures you get rich-tasting espresso from every brewing process, which is made easy with a one-touch interface that makes it user-friendly, even for new users.
If you enjoy plant-based milk, then you should get this machine as it froths all plant-based milk perfectly for your espresso.
Other features of this espresso machine are:
- Automatic milk frother for easy frothing
- Coffee recipe book you can consult to try other coffee variants
- Measuring scoop for easy scooping of coffee grounds
- Auto brew functions for latte and cappuccino
- Programmed cleaning cycle that makes cleaning a breeze after every use
- Removable water and milk reservoirs for easy refill and cleanup after use
Best Budget – De’Longhi 15 Bar Espresso Machine
If you are looking for the best budget espresso machine that you can get within the range of $100-$200, this De’Longhi Espresso Machine is your best bet.
As indicated in the product description, the product comes with a 15 bar pressure, which is adjustable to meet your preferences. With its 3-in-1 filter holder and a manual frother, you can make your one or two shots of espresso and an easy serve espresso pod if you so desire.
This De’Longhi Espresso Machine maintains brewing temperature so, you can brew several cups one after another. And if you would prefer your espresso in a taller cup, you don’t have to brew in small cups as the spout is made to fit tall cups.
The machine also comes with the following product features;
- Compact design and narrow footprint to fit small countertop spaces
- Removable water tank for easy refill and clean up
- Measuring scoop for scooping in your coffee grounds
- Removable drip tray to catch coffee drips and minimize spillage
Best Single serve espresso maker – Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine
The powerful Nespresso Essenza Mini Espresso Machine delivers up to 19 bars of pressure to provide you with delicious, rich espresso. The product comes in a sleek, compact, and portable design and an acroccino milk frothier to enjoy your espresso variants.
You get to enjoy the Nespresso Essenza better because of its following features;
- Removable 20.3 oz. water reservoir for easy cleaning and refill
- An energy-saving feature that automatically turns off your machine 9 minutes after the brew is completed
- Free set of Nespresso capsules in different coffee variants you will enjoy trying out
- Compatibility with other third party capsules, reusable and non-reusable
- Adjustable cup size with two programmable buttons for espresso cup and lungo cups
Best Espresso maker for Coffee Grounds and Pods – DeLonghi EC155 Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker
This espresso machine is a good alternative if you intend to enjoy alternating between coffee pods and coffee grounds. The product features a 15 bar professional pressure that produces barista-quality espresso. And it comes with two separate thermostats for easy regulation of water and steam pressure.
Other features that make the DeLonghi EC155 Pump Espresso and Cappuccino Maker a delight to use are:
- A 3-in-1 filter for one shot, two shot, and easy-serve espresso pod
- Detachable 35 oz. water tank with visible water level
- Removable drip tray for easy cleaning after use
- Cup warmer to warm your cups before use
- Self-priming feature for easy start-up
- Swivel frother for rich, creamy froth
Best Rapid- Heating Espresso maker – Gevi Espresso Machines 15 Bar Fast Heating Cappuccino Coffee Maker
With this machine, you can get your favorite espresso brewed and ready to drink in about 45 seconds. The Gevi Espresso Machine is a 15 bar professional machine with double-temperature control for water and milk. With this product, you do not only get great espresso in the nick of time. But you also get rich and creamy milk froth with the accompanying powerful, manual frothier.
Product features you will also enjoy using in the Gevi include:
- Detachable 1.25L water reservoir for easy refill and cleaning after use
- Measuring scoop to pour coffee grounds in the right portions
- Triple protection feature; 25 mins auto shut off, auto pressure relief, and overheating protection for safety
- 3-in-1 porta-filter for one shot, double shot, and easy serve pod brews
Best espresso machines under $300
If you are willing to raise your budget to a higher limit of $300, you can opt for the efficient Breville BNV250CRO1BUC1 Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine. Which gives you rich flavored coffee variants of your choice in different cup sizes of up to 14 oz. And while the Mr. Coffee One-Touch Coffee House Espresso Maker and Cappuccino Machine is a cheaper option you will also enjoy, you will find any of these espresso makers a good fit for your use;
Comparison table for best espresso machine under $300
Last update on 2021-08-05 at 06:40 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Overall Best – Breville BNV250CRO1BUC1 Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine
The automatic Breville Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine is an easy pick for the overall best espresso machine you can get within the $200-$300 price range. It is a suitable product whether you like hot or iced coffee, and you get 5 cups of up to 14 oz. of your favorite coffee, espresso, or cappuccino.
This machine uses a centrifusion extraction technology that produces rich espresso every time and heats up pretty fast so, you don’t have to wait too long on your coffee. In addition to this, you also get to enjoy the following features;
- 40 oz. removable water reservoir for easy refill and cleanup after use
- A complementary set of Nespresso pods to try out
- Power save mode to save energy when the product is not in use
- Automatic blend recognition that identifies your pod and gives you the best brew from it
Best Budget – Mr. Coffee One-Touch Coffee House Espresso Maker and Cappuccino Machine
This product is for you, especially if you want something just a little bit over $200. Mr. Coffee One-Touch Coffee House Espresso Maker features a 19 bar pump that produces high-quality, flavored espresso, cappuccino, and lattes for your enjoyment. And apart from its thermocouple heating system for even heat distribution, you also get to enjoy these features;
- Automatic milk frother for creamy froth
- Porta-filter for single and double shot espresso
- Adjustable cup tray to accommodate taller mugs
- Removable milk reservoir for easy refill, cleanup, and storage of excess milk
- One-touch button cleaning cycle for easy cleaning
Best Alternative espresso maker – Calphalon BVCLECMP1 Temp iQ Espresso Machine
This 15 bar Italian pump pressure espresso machine gives you one shot and double shots of creamy espressos in quick time. The espresso machine uses a dial interface that provides you with steam, hot water, single and double shot options, and you can be pretty sure your cup of espresso is evenly heated by its thermoblock heating technology.
- Other features of the Calphalon BVCLECMP1 Temp iQ Espresso Machine includes;
- A stainless steel milk pitcher to froth your milk in
- Removable 2L water reservoir for easy refill and cleaning after use
- Cup warming tray to warm your espresso cups and get them ready for use
- Drip tray to collect coffee drips and minimize brewing mess
Best Manual Espresso maker – Flair Signature Espresso Maker
While an automatic or semi-automatic espresso maker seems like a brilliant choice. If you are looking to have the experience of handcrafting your own espresso. Or you want a machine that allows you to learn the nitty-gritty of espresso-making, then you should get the Flair Signature Espresso Maker.
This machine is a 100% manual espresso maker with a 6-10 bar lever pressure. And it comes portable, even with a carrier case in case you decide to take it with you for your hangouts. There is no doubt that this is the best espresso maker for you if you like to spend time outdoors. And would like to add a touch to your woods experience. In addition to these features, you also get to enjoy these features:
- Detachable brewing head for easy cleaning
- 2-in-1 porta-filter for naked or spouted brewing with ease
- Custom pressure gauge for easy targeting of your espresso range
Best versatile espresso maker – Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Maker
This is another compact and portable design you will love for its versatility. The Nespresso Vertuo Smart Coffee and Espresso Maker comes in a sleek design that looks pretty on your kitchen countertop. It delivers up to 19 bars of pressure to provide you with delicious cups of espresso and offers adjustable cup sizes of up to 14 oz.
With the Nespresso Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Maker, you can enjoy espresso, double espresso, coffee, gran, lungo, and alt in quick and easy steps. Even with your coffee, you get crema foam that mimics an espresso, and the machine comes with these features to make sure of that;
- A set of 30 Nespresso capsules to try out coffee variants
- Removable, large-capacity 54 oz. water tank for easy refill and clean up after use
- One-touch user interface for easy operation
Recommended Accessories for Best Budget Espresso Makers
If you are getting any of these espresso makers, then you are most likely going to need to order the following accessories with it;
Getting a frothing pitcher is necessary if you are buying a coffeemaker with a manual frother. And most of these espresso makers do not come with pitchers to use alongside your frothier.
If you need to buy a frothing pitcher, it is best to get a stainless steel pitcher to maintain a constant temperature during the steaming process. It is also advisable to get a pitcher with side measurements so you can measure the quantity of milk you want to steam without the need for a measuring cup.
You can get a high-quality, stainless steel frothing pitcher like the options below on amazon;
- Espresso Steaming Pitcher 12 oz, Espresso Milk Frothing Pitcher 12 oz
- Star Coffee Milk Frothing Pitcher Stainless Steel Frother Cup
Tampers are used to compact coffee grounds tighter and evenly, to get the rich-flavored espresso you desire. Most espresso makers come with tampers, but these tampers are often not strong enough because they are made of plastic, and you may not get the best from them. If you are a skilled coffee brewer, you may not enjoy using the tamper your espresso machine comes with. But you can get your own preferred tamper separately from a product seller like Amazon.
Some durable tamper recommendations you can order alongside your espresso maker are;
- RSVP International (TAM) Dual Sided Coffee Espresso Tamper
- LuxHaus 58mm Espresso Tamper – Premium Barista Coffee Tamper
Knock boxes make it easier to get rid of leftover, unusable coffee grounds in your porta-filter that you will need to get rid of. It is not advisable to leave these grounds in the porta-filter for long, so they don’t get caked and make subsequent removal tedious. With a knock box, all you need to do is knock the grounds out of your porta-filter with the sturdy bar in the middle of your knock box.
You can order any of these high-quality knock boxes along with your espresso machine to make your brewing process a total breeze;
- Breville BES001XL Knock Box Mini, Stainless Steel
- HOMEE Espresso Knock Box 4.8 Inch Shock-Absorbent Durable Barista Style Knock Box
If you do not have these, you may want to get some, especially if you are looking forward to having guests over to enjoy your rich-flavored, home-brewed espresso.
Espresso glasses are different from regular coffee cups, and they are also referred to as demitasses in the coffee industry. Most espresso cups can hold between 2-5 fluid ounces of espresso, depending on whether you are brewing a single shot or a double espresso.
If you are going to get espresso cups alongside your espresso machine, then you should definitely try any of these;
- JoyJolt Savor Double Wall Insulated Glasses Espresso Mugs
- De’Longhi DeLonghi Double Walled Thermo Espresso Glasses
Buying Guide for the best budget espresso machines
While it is clear that you do not need to spend a fortune to enjoy rich-flavored, barista-style espresso. You must consider some factors and use them as a guide to buying your espresso machine so that you can get the best user experience from the product of your choice. In drawing our long list of cheap espresso machines you can get, we have considered some of these factors. And the factors considered include;
If you are looking for a product within a budget range, your budget range will definitely be a limiting factor when considering possible appliances that you can buy. But buying a cheap espresso machine does not mean you cannot get a product of good quality. Instead, you should look out for; is how you can get a product that will be worth the amount you are paying for it, if not more.
There is always a product that stands out within every price range, and depending on other limiting factors you might have, this is a great place to start in getting the best inexpensive espresso maker.
Even if there no extra benefits from using your appliance, your choice of product should be able to make rich-flavored cups of espresso that you will enjoy. It is, after all, the main reason you have decided to get an espresso machine.
Most espresso makers also come with the milk frother, manual or automatic, and allow you to make other espresso-based coffee variants like cappuccino and latte. The more versatile your product is, the more likely you are to enjoy using it. But whether it offers versatility or not, a good espresso maker should give you a good espresso that makes your choice better. Particularly when it is compared with going out to buy your drink every day.
Espresso machines come in manual, semi-automatic, and automatic models. While the semi-automatic espresso makers are the most common ones, automatic machines ensure you get your brew with minimal or no effort. But if you would like to experience the espresso crafting process, you should also consider getting a manual espresso maker. Whatever your preference is, you can definitely get a befitting model without spending a fortune.
Ease of use
There is no doubt that you do not want a machine that will be difficult to operate. The last thing any espresso lover needs is to wake up in the morning and have to deal with a complicated espresso machine before they can enjoy their favorite drink. A good espresso machine should be easy to use even by a first-time user. If you do not want to end up putting your espresso machine away because it takes too much time to brew your coffee in the mornings, you should make sure the product is easy to get familiar with once you go through your user guide.
Cleaning and maintenance
Regular cleaning of the espresso machine is necessary, not just to ensure you are drinking healthy coffee. But also to keep your product long-lasting. On the other hand, if you find it difficult to clean your espresso maker after every use, you will probably find yourself not putting it to the best use.
You can get an inexpensive espresso maker that comes with an auto-cleaning feature or detachable, dishwasher-safe parts so that you do not spend time cleaning up after making your brew. And you should try as much as you can to get your espresso machine cleaned out after every use.
Frequently asked questions on espresso machines.
How do I clean my espresso machine?
You should stick to the cleaning instructions in your product guide when cleaning your espresso machine. It is the best way to choose suitable cleaning products; and also to avoid compromising the life span of your espresso machine.
It is necessary to maintain a clean espresso machine. Coffee grounds and oils can build up in your espresso machine and compromise the quality of your brew. While you should ensure your filter and porta-filter are properly cleaned regularly, you should also know milk can clog in your wand and turn sour. And this is not only distasteful; it can pose a health hazard with continued usage.
Using hard water for brewing will also leave minerals you will need to get rid of in your water reservoir, and this can be done effectively with a descaling solution or vinegar mixed with water. Use soft brushes to get rid of coffee grounds where you cannot detach parts for proper cleaning, make sure your product parts are dishwasher safe before throwing them in a dishwasher, and use a soft cloth and mild detergents to hand wash the parts of your product. There are really no parts you should leave out when cleaning your espresso machine; consider all product parts important and clean them accordingly. Wipe the espresso machine itself with a soft, damp cloth to remove any coffee stains and dusts it may have collected.
You should also ensure you rinse your appliance thoroughly to get rid of cleaning solutions and vinegar. And air-dry them properly before putting your espresso maker away or putting it to use again. This will help ensure you get the creamy, rich-flavored espresso you desire the next time you use it.
What is the best bar pressure for brewing espressos?
Bar pressure in espresso machines refers to the bars of pressure you need to get the correct pressure for a good espresso shot. If you are operating a manual espresso maker with a lever, you get the bar pressure by pulling on the lever. But semi-automatic, automatic, and even electric manual espresso machines get the correct pressure with an internal pump.
The most common range of bars that espresso machines come with is from 3.5 to 19 bars. But the most common opinion on the best bar pressure for brewing espresso is 9 bars. Some others have argued that 15 bars of pressure produce the best espresso brews. But it is necessary to know that beyond the bar pressure, you also need high-quality coffee grounds, a good espresso machine, and brew precision to get a good brew. And in addition to these, the standard for the best espresso brew may be different because we all have our personal preferences.
Tips to get the best user experience from your espresso machine
Unless you get a defective product upon delivery, there are effective ways to use and maintain your espresso machine. With these tips, you will not only get perfect shots of espresso and other coffee variants. But will also enjoy using your espresso machine for as long as it is achievable. Some of these tips are;
- Ensure you stick to the user manual when setting up your product, carrying out brewing processes, and cleaning your espresso machine. You should know the dos and don’ts of your espresso maker. So you do not end up compromising its quality.
- Avoid overfilling your porta-filter, water reservoir, and frother, as this may cause your appliance to malfunction.
- Clean your appliance accordingly; do not use a dishwasher unless it is indicated. And if you are not sure, it is best to hand wash your product parts.
- Avoid using your espresso machine for uses outside the permission of your product manufacturer. This can compromise your espresso maker and void your warranty.
- Clean your espresso maker regularly to avoid builds up that can damage your appliance or even cause health and electrical hazards
- Adhere to safety precautions when operating your espresso machine
For cheap espresso makers from $100-$200, we love the Mr. Coffee Café Barista Espresso and Cappuccino Maker and the De’longi 15 Bar Espresso Machine as a cheaper alternative.
For the best budget espresso machine from $100-$300, if you want something cheaper than the Breville BNV250CRO1BUC1 Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine, you should buy the Mr. Coffee One-Touch Coffee House Espresso Maker and Cappuccino Machine.
From very affordable products like the Breville BNV250CRO1BUC1 Vertuo Coffee and Espresso Machine, which you can get for less than $300. To the cheap BELLA (13683) Personal Espresso Maker, an effective espresso machine that is well below $100. There are so many excellent espresso machines out there you can buy on a budget.
It doesn’t matter if you want a manually-operated espresso machine, the common semi-automatic variants, or even the more luxurious automatic brewing machines. If you want a good espresso machine you will enjoy using without breaking the bank, just save yourself some time and energy, and try out any of these carefully selected models above.